Diaper rash is something we are all too familiar with around here. Addie basically came out of the womb with one. As a new mom, it threw me into a complete panic. I had no idea what to do because nothing we tried was working. We later found out, she had some sort of allergy to the diapers and wipes we were using. Once we switched she rarely had a diaper rash. We learned from her and thankfully had no problems when Piper came along. Knowing what I do now, I’d like to share my top 5 tips for avoiding diaper rashes with you all today!
1) Stick to one brand of diapers. Newborns have ultra sensitive skin, so if you can find something softer to use, do that. Even go for the ones with no chemicals in them, or possible use cloth diapers if those are in your budget!
2) Use gentle products for bathing and don’t over bathe your infants. Keeping baths to a minimum in the first few months will definitely cut your chances of rash in half. Also, if a rash is rearing it’s ugly head, it’s safe to try some baking soda and warm water in your babies bath routine.
3) Watch your wipes. Be careful not to grab any with alcohol or other irritants in them. We also had a nurse tell us to only use wet wipes for every other wet diaper. It definitely helped with Addie.
4) Find your tried and true diaper cream. Don’t opt for a petroleum based rash ointment, look for medicated and gentle. We love Desitin! It isn’t hard on an already present rash and it definitely clears them up fast. You can grab a coupon here!
5) Let them air out. I always rolled my eyes when someone told me to do this. Just because babies are notorious for blow outs etc. But it does help to air their bottoms out every once in a while.
I hope these tips are helpful! I know it would have saved me a lot of panic and stress to know these things ahead of time.
Tell me below, what is your number 1 diaper rash tip?