*This post is sponsored by Kidde. All opinions are my own and by clicking the links hereafter, you are helping to support A Party of Four.
Happy Monday and I hope you are as excited about welcoming February as I am. I’m not sure why but January is just not my favorite month. We are actually just starting our weekend today. Jake’s worked straight through the last couple of weeks so we are excited to get a little family time coming up.
Today, though, I wanted to chat with you guys a little bit about fire safety. This is something we’ve only just recently started discussing with Addie. She was immediately worried about what would happen to all of her toys and stuffed animals. She’s old enough to understand what fire is and what can happen in the event our house were to burn down and she had a lot of questions. I can remember the fear fire safety week always invoked in me as a kid, and still it is probably one of my bigger fears.
So, here are 5 tips from me to you on keeping your family a little safer.
1) Check your dryer. This is my first tip because it’s something I would have never thought about. I told you guys last week that my dryer broke. Well, in order to fix it we had to take it apart. Let me just say, cleaning your lint trap regularly isn’t enough. Our dryer was caked with lint. All over the coils, heating element etc. I didn’t know lint could even get in those places. This is a huge hazard. Get someone to help you get the machine apart and take a vacuum to the insides.
2) Smoke Detectors. As of 2015, here in Florida there’s a law that requires homeowners to replace any battery operated alarms that are more than 10 years old, with an alarm powered by a 10-year sealed in battery. Having a sealed in battery makes these alarms tamper resistant and allows families peace of mind when they don’t have to remember to change batteries every 6 months. We were sent the Kidde Worry-Free smoke alarm to share with you guys. Addie got to choose where we put it up. She also went on an anti-fire crusade and made sure we knew all of the rooms in the house that didn’t have detectors in them. (You can check your states laws here)
3) Extension Cords. Don’t leave these plugged in for an extended period of time. They aren’t meant for permanent electrical use.
4) Talk to you kids. Like I said above, we recently had a sit down with Addie explaining to her what could happen if our home caught on fire. As a family, we chose a meeting place in case of a fire and also explained that we never run back in the house for anything. Along those same lines, we had to explain that if your house is burning, you never grab toys or anything else- just head straight to the meeting place.
5) Appliances. Try not to leave appliances running when you aren’t home. Machines can be faulty and you never know when something could catch on fire.
There are many common sense rules of thumb to follow when trying to keep your family safe from fires, but there are also things like the dryer or letting your appliances run unattended that I would have never thought about until something tragic happened.
I hope this information can help you safeguard your homes against preventable fires!
Tell me below, do you and your family have a plan in the event of a fire? What is one of the top fire safety tips you have shared with your kids?